Dear friends and fellow geeks
I’m looking for some experience and advice for a home broadband and TV provider.
Here’s what I’m looking for (essentially matching what we had in the UK but with more speed!)
- Good speed – 100Mbit/s is apparently supported at our address in both directions
- No port blocking or policy restrictions — I run a server for various bits and bobs including email
- Ideally, a fixed (or very slow changing) IP address
- Either a NAT router/modem that I can log into and disable DHCP (as Bad Things happen when my server isn’t providing DHCP), or a simple ethernet out where I can use my Airport Extreme as the router. Either way, I want to have the LAN network running the
192.168.0.xxxrange with no device restrictions (as we have a constellation of devices to connect) and all external traffic directed to the server.
- Not at all worried about Voice Telephony – we use mobiles and various video conferencing services (Google Hangouts, Apple FaceTime and Skype) rather than have a house voice number.
- TV package that has some UK/English language channels, and definitely GoT!
I believe we have both ADSL and Fiber to the house.